Winning Designer: Frances Cope – Greencore
Sandwich Name: Naan Chicken Tikka Taco
What a way to big-up your naan! Frances’ inspired creation for the Sandwich & Food to Go Designer of the Year competition won the H. Smith Shredded Chicken category.
80g H. Smith – Shredded Chicken
63g Self Raising Flour
63g Greek Yoghurt
1 Red Onion
2 tbsp White Wine Vinegar
15g Fresh Mint
6ml Lemon Juice
100g Greek Yoghurt
10g Mango Chutney
Additional Ingredient Info:
Tikka Chicken Sauce (Use 220g of this finished sauce per product) – 2 Brown Onions, 1 tbsp Olive Oil, 1/2 tsp Turmeric, 1 tsp Chilli Powder, 1 tsp Chilli Flakes, 125ml Single Cream, 1 tsp Garam Masala, 1 tsp, Ground Coriander, 1 Grated Clove of Garlic, 1 tsp Ginger Paste, 500ml Passata, 1 tbsp Tomato Puree, 0.2g Salt, 0.2g Pepper.
This sandwich is best served hot, the Naan is most flexible to bend into a taco shape when freshly made.
Method or Assembly Order:
- Finely Slice the 2 onions and fry in the oil on a medium/low heat until soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, chilli powder, chilli flakes, ground coriander, garam masala and tomato puree. Mix together and fry for one minute.
- Pour in the passata, 200ml water and single cream. Stir through and bring the sauce to a boil. Once it is bubbling, turn down and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes until thick.
Quick Onion Pickle
- Chop the red onion and mix with salt and white wine vinegar.
- Leave to marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- Pick the mint and pound to a paste in a pestle and mortar.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice and a pinch of sea salt then stir through and set aside.
Naan Bread Taco
- Combine the flour, yoghurt and honey in a bowl and mix until combined.
- Top onto a clean, flour-dusted surface and knead until smooth.
- Stretch and press into an oval shape then use a rolling pin to make it thinner.
- Cook the Naan in a dry frying pan for a couple of minutes, or until golden, then flip over and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Once the Naan is cooked, spread the mango chutney on, leave to cool for 30 seconds and carefully fold in half to make a soft taco shaped shell.
- Mix 220g of the Tikka Sauce with thawed shredded chicken and add to the taco.
- Drizzle with 20g of mint yoghurt mix.
- Garnish with 5g of onion pickle and fresh coriander leaves.