Don’t just take our word for it. Sandwiches are the ultimate fast food and we have pulled together some sandwich stats to prove the ever-increasing popularity of the humble sandwich.
The humble sandwich has come on a long journey to become what it is today. Sandwiches are now the mainstay of many people’s lives, providing a convenient and portable meal that fits the busy lifestyles we all lead.
Did you know?
- Over 3,000,000,000 sandwiches are purchased from UK retail or catering outlets each year.
- We spend over £8,000,000,000 a year on sandwiches.
- The average price of a sandwich almost £2.14.
- Britain’s biggest sandwich retailer by £value in the UK is the American franchise chain Subway which has shot ahead of the UK’s biggest retailers, including Tesco, Greggs and Marks & Spencers, in the sandwich stakes in the value of the sandwiches they sell. However, Tesco outsells them in the numbers of sandwiches sold by several million.
- In the UK there are over 300,000 people employed in the sandwich industry.
- According to data from Kantar, Bacon came out as the top sandwich filling 2017-2018.